Francesco Salvatore, MD, Ph.D.
M.D. (’56) ; PhD in Biochemistry (‘60); He has achieved Academic positions at the University of Naples, “Federico II”; until 1967, appointed as Full Professor of Biochemistry, Medical School; Since 2010, Emeritus Professor of Human Biochemistry, co-founder of the Faculty of Biotechnological Sciences (2001-first in Italy).
- Devisor-Promoter-Founder, President and Scientific Director from 1984 to 2018 (currently P.I.) of CEINGE-Advanced Biotechnology.
- Since 2009, Member of the National Academy of Science (known as “dei XL”), Rome.
- Director of the Center of Excellence in Biomedicine and Biotechnology, University of Naples Federico II (on MIUR call in 2000); currently Scientific Director of the Interuniversity Center at "Federico II" University- Naples, Chieti-Pescara and Rome-TorVergata for the study of multifactorial genetic diseases (acquired and inherited ).
- Visiting scientist and visiting professor, for over 4 years, in prestigious laboratories, especially in the United States of America (Fritz Schlenk, Stanley K. Shapiro, Bruce Ames) and for several months in laboratories in France (Jean Roche), Germany (John Kendrew, Nobel Prize; and Lenn Philippson), in Cambridge, UK (Sidney Brenner, Nobel Prize).
- Member of the Scientific Steering Committee of : the CNR Institute (LEM-NA Chief: John Kendrew), the Zoological Station of Naples; MIUR delegate at Bruxelles E. C. (5th framework program, 4 years).
- For seven consecutive years he has been part of the International Committe (including 5 Nobel Prizes) for the award of the "Re Jaime I°" prize to the best Spanish researcher.
- He has received numerous awards and prizes for Scientific Research including: “Dorso” Prize, Gold Medal of the Ministry of Education, Certificate of Excellence from New York Medical College, NY, USA; Gold Medal for Natural and Physical Sciences of the National Academy of Sciences (known as “dei XL”).
For research topics, including current ones, see in the CV and in research lines.
He is the author of 361 impacted publications (Scopus).
- Predictive medicine at the level of genome, genes and mutations of oncological and hereditary genetic diseases, to evaluate the risk of predisposition to individual diseases through gene panels.
- Molecular base pairs, diagnosis, genotype-phenotype correlations of hereditary and acquired genetic diseases and physiopathology of molecular mechanisms, rare diseases and disorders of intermediary metabolism, cardiomyopathies, breast, colorectal and other types of tumours.
- Functional role of Aldolasi C protein in cerebellum development and studies with transgenic and knock-out mice.
- Molecular oncology: studies of the cross-talk between proteins in leukaemia pathogenesis; search for tumoral markers for early tumour diagnosis, prognosis and therapy; expression studies in breast tumours and other organs, also through high productivity sequencing techniques (NGS) and through gene panels (patents filed).
- Design, synthesis and physiological and pharmacological roles of analogs of human defensins (patents filed).
- Studies of amyloid toxicity at cardiac level, and its mechanism of action.
- Nanovectors studies for drug delivery (protein corona and proteomics).
- Marcella Nunziato, PhD (postdoc fellow); co.co.co. CEINGE
- Federica di Maggio, PhD student (u to march 2020); co.co.co. 2022
- Fatima De Palma, PhD (SEMM); co.co.co CEINGE
- Marco Miceli, technologist; co.co.co CEINGE
- Francesco Bifulco, research contract; co.co.co CEINGE
- Salvatore F, Bocchini V. 1961. Prevention of ammonia toxicity by amino-acids concerned in the biosynthesis of urea. Nature 191:705-6.
- Castaldo G, Tomaiuolo R, Sanduzzi A, Bocchino ML, Ponticiello A, Barra E, Vitale D, Bariffi F, Sacchetti L, Salvatore F. 1997. Lung cancer metastatic cells detected in blood by reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction and dot-blot analysis. J Clin Oncol 15:3388-93.
- Pane F, Intrieri M, Izzo B, Quintarelli C, Vitale D, Migliorati R, Sebastio L, Salvatore F. 2002. A novel MLL/AF4 fusion gene lacking the AF4 transactivating domain in infant acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Blood 100:4247-8.
- Esposito MV, Minopoli G, Esposito L, D'Argenio V, Di Maggio F, Sasso E, D'Aiuto M, Zambrano N, Salvatore F. 2019 A Functional Analysis of the Unclassified Pro2767Ser BRCA2 Variant Reveals Its Potential Pathogenicity that Acts by Hampering DNA Binding and Homology-Mediated DNA Repair . Cancers (Basel). Sep 28;11(10). pii: E1454.
- Salvatore F. The shift of the paradigm between ageing and diseases [published online ahead of print, 2020 Apr 13]. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2020;/j/cclm.ahead-of-print/cclm-2020-0125/cclm-2020-0125.xml. doi:10.1515/cclm-2020-0125